Work with Us
Good Day Shop is a brick and mortar in Madison, WI and online shop focused on selling mindfully-made home & lifestyle goods and curated gifts. Connection and collaboration is what drives us and finding ways to build community is at the heart of everything we do.
Assistant Store Manager (Part-Time)
Location: 1925 Monroe Street, Madison, WI
Reports to: Owner + Manager, Sarah Artz
Purpose: The Assistant Store Manager is responsible for overseeing the daily operations of GDS, making sure it runs smoothly and effectively. They are enthusiastic, energetic, available and kind, providing a positive next level shopping experience to GDS’s diverse customers and supportive environment for the team. Duties include recruiting, motivating and training the sales team, customer relationship development, outreach and promotions and keeping the store in good form and spirit.
This position could be tailored a few different ways based on a candidate’s experience. I may be open to more store management or business development responsibilities for the right candidate.
We are proud to offer a flexible work environment. Hours vary by season with less hours early in the year and more hours during quarter four. On average 3 days/week or 21 hours with the majority being during shop hours, which are Wed - Sat 11-5 and Sun 11-4 during the off season and extended hours during peak season. Some very occasional evening events as well.
- Works really well with customers
- Adept at technology
- Excellent communication in all forms
- Organized & thoughtful
- Resourceful & adaptable
- Confident & effective
- Strong team builder
- Creative problem-solver
- Consistent follow-through
- Enthusiastic & friendly
PERSONNEL & COMMUNICATION
- Recruit, hire, train and manage sales associates.
- Manage store staffing and shop hours.
- Organize regular staff meetings, ongoing training and team-building activities.
- Motivate staff to meet sales targets and create staff incentive programs.
- Manage performance development including reviews, individual development plans and disciplinary action for a productive, inspired and successful sales associate team.
- Maintain team communication channels including Trello, clipboards, email and store phone.
LEADERSHIP & OPERATIONS
- Uphold Company standards and act as a mentor, teacher and positive role model to others.
- Assist in creating sales targets and plans to achieve sales targets.
- Assist in roll-out of all new training, program and operational initiatives.
- Maintain our employee handbook and store processes book.
- Assist in outreach for corporate gifting, realtor and other programs.
- Fulfill customer and client gift box projects.
- Direct sales associates on special projects during down time.
- Some data analysis and report generation for informing staffing, hours and priorities.
- Oversee all levels of customer service and ensure a positive store environment.
- Listen and respond to customer inquiries, requests and complaints.
- Direct team on accurately capturing customer data and maintaining our customer database.
- Build strong customer and client relationships.
- Facilitate campaigns to honor customer loyalty and show appreciation.
- Maintain the presentation, organization and housekeeping of the store.
- Exhibit excellent floor presence by leading by example and coaching the store team on customer service, standards, product placement and time management.
- Participate in creating compelling product displays and gift boxing/wrapping experiences.
- Keep the store floor stocked, fresh and engaging for customers.
- Manage ordering of store supplies like bags, ribbon, stickers, tape, refreshments, cleaning supplies, etc
- In collaboration with Inventory & Merchandising Coordinator, plan and execute store sales and promotions.
- Coordinate logistics for in-store and offsite events and experiences.
- Contribute regular content for Instagram and Facebook.
- Craft communication pieces, posters, flyers and forms as needed in Canva.
- Order printing of marketing collateral.
Special projects as assigned
At least 2 years working in a boutique, client-centered retail environment. Management experience preferred.
Commitment to contributing to an inclusive and safe working environment.
Must bend, reach and stretch for products as well as lift, carry and move boxes that weigh at least 40 pounds.
Ability to work flexible hours to meet the needs of the store.
Avid fan of Good Day brand.
To apply: send an email with your résumé, availability, pay expectations and why you think you’d be perfect for our team to sarah [at] gooddayshop.net. Applications that do not include all information asked above will not be considered.